A lawyer who understands the real challenges of working people
For nearly 30 years, Martin Alvey has been fighting powerful insurance companies and government bureaucracies.
Alvey has helped thousands of people with workers’ compensation, injury claims and SSI/SSDI claims as in Portland, Astoria, and throughout Oregon.
- President of the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA), 2013-2014
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association Doug Swanson Outstanding Workers’ Compensation Attorney, 2008
- Oregon State Bar Workers’ Compensation Section Douglas W. Daughtry Award of Merit, 2007
About Martin Alvey
A fifth-generation Oregonian, Martin is a native of the fishing port and mill town Coos Bay. He understands the real challenges that working people face.
The son of a high school teacher and a community college employee, Martin learned the value of hard work with jobs at a lumber mill and as a security guard. He earned his undergraduate degree at Willamette University, and his Juris Doctorate at Lewis & Clark Law School. As a law student, he clerked for a Worker’s Compensation attorney in North Bend, Oregon. He has been actively involved in protecting the rights of Oregonians for nearly 30 years.
Martin has been a small business owner since starting his own law practice back in 1996. He lives in Portland with his wife Kathy, and has two sons in college. Outside of his busy law practice, Martin is book collector and a dedicated amateur astronomer, and member of Rose City Astronomers. See the Oregon State Bar Bulletin’s Profile of Attorney Martin Alvey: Aiming for the Stars: Martin Alvey Finds Satisfaction in Looking Up.
Martin has been an adjunct instructor of workers’ compensation law in the Portland Community College Paralegal program since 2008.
Memberships and Professional Associations
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association: 2013-2014 President; Guardian of Civil Justice-Guardian Club Plus Member
- Oregon State Bar
- Oregon State Bar Workers’ Compensation Section: Section Executive Committee, Chair 2005 and 2006;
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association Workers Compensation Section, Chair, 2004 – 2005; Member
- Litigation Section, Member
- Admiralty Section, Member
- Small Firm and Law Office Management Section, Member
- American Association for Justice (AAJ): Member
- Public Justice: Member
- Multnomah County Bar Association: Member
Classes and Seminars
- Solo Practice, Learning the Ropes CLE – Oregon State Bar, 2002 – 2004
- 25 Practice Tips in 60 Minutes, Oregon Trial Lawyers Association – Workers Compensation Section Annual Seminar, 2005
- SB 485 Aftermath, Oregon State Bar – Workers’ Compensation Section Annual Meeting and CLE, 2003
- Workers Compensation in Oregon, Oregon Law Institute – Oregon Convention Center, 2003
- Workers Compensation in Oregon, Lorman Education Services CLE, 2003
- Workers Compensation in Oregon, Lorman Education Services CLE, 2002
- Oregon, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of Oregon, 1987
AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.